Home   Spokesperson's Remarks   Embassy Info   News&Press;   Sino-Irish Relations   Consular   Economy&Trade;   Education   Science&Tech;   About China 
Home > Topics > Falun Gong Cult > What's New
Tiananmen Tragedy: a Conspiracy by Falun Gong Cult (2001-03-01)


  BEIJING, February 28 (Xinhuanet) -- Police investigations have  found that the self-immolation tragedy by five Falun Gong  practitioners last month in Tiananmen Square was a direct result  of incitement and spiritual control by cult leader Li Hongzhi, and a conspiracy by his diehard followers.
  The direct organizers of the tragedy, Liu Yunfang and Xue  Hongjun, have been arrested, while another mastermind of the  horrible scene, Wan Jindong, has been hospitalized since he set  himself ablaze together with four others on January 23.
  According to the investigations, Liu Yunfang, 57, was a former  factory worker in Kaifeng City, Henan Province in central China.  He started practicing Falun Gong in 1997.
  Not long afterwards, he began to boast of his "heavenly eyes"  that allow him to see "life and substances in another space". He  also claimed to be one of the top ten disciples of Li Hongzhi.
  Since May 2000, in his lectures Li Hongzhi has repeatedly urged practitioners to "devote their lives wholly to Falun Gong" so that they can achieve "nirvana".
  Liu told his fellow practitioners Wang Jindong, Hao Huijun and  Xue Hongjun that he had realized what "nirvana" was. According to  him, it meant giving up everything and thereby gaining access to " heaven".
  Liu declared later that while he was practicing, he saw his  spirit carrying a lighter and gasoline to Tiananmen Square and  setting it on fire. Whereupon he saw his "Buddha body" spraying  fire from the mouth and displaying a brilliant light."
  Liu told this to Xue Hongjun, who then spread the story among  other Falun Gong practitioners.
  Meanwhile, another practitioner, Wang Jindong, claimed that he  had come to realize that the supreme form of achieving "nirvana"  was to burn oneself in Tiananmen Square, and still better, on the  eve of the Lunar New Year.
  Following the latest instruction of Li Hongzhi which urged his  followers to sacrifice everything for Falun Gong, Liu, Wang, Xue  and Hao met on January 10, 2001, and agreed to burn themselves to  death in Tiananmen on the eve of the Lunar New Year, which fell on January 23.
  Xue further suggested that more people should be organized to  join them. And so Liu Yunfang and Wang Jindong called Liu Baorong, Liu Chunling and her 12-year-old daughter Liu Ying, while Hao  Huijun phoned her daughter Chen Guo, who was studying in Beijing  and also a practitioner.
  On January 16, Liu Yunfang, Wang Jindong, Hao Huijun, Liu  Baorong, Liu Chunling and Liu Siying left Kaifeng for Beijing. Xue went to the railway station to see them off, and said he would  meet them in "heaven".
  The six arrived in Beijing the next morning, and met Chen Guo.  They found lodgings at the house of a Beijing practitioner, but  were transferred to another apartment by the local Falun Gong  organization on the same day.
  The seven thereupon started their preparations. They bought 40  litters of gasoline, which they poured into 14 empty Sprite  bottles. Perfume was sprayed over the bottles to cover up the  smell of gasoline. The time for the self-immolation was fixed at 2: 30 p.m., January 23.
  On the fatal day, Hao Huijun, Chen Guo, Liu Chunling and Liu  Siying took a taxi to Tiananmen Square. They poured gasoline on  their bodies in a nearby toilet and set fire to themselves on the  square.
  About 10 minutes later, Liu Yunfang, Wang Jindong and Liu  Baorong arrived at the square in another taxi. The latter two set  themselves on fire, but Liu Yunfang did not. He didn't even pour  gasoline on himself.
  Liu Chunling died on the spot, while the other four were  seriously injured and were immediately rushed to hospital.  
  "I did not set myself on fire, because the 'master' wanted me  to stay. He want me to live so that I can speak," Liu Yunfang  explained to the police.
  "They had a deeper belief than I, so they attained 'nirvana'. I had not reached their level so I changed my mind," Liu added.
  Xue Hongjun was reluctant to admit his role in the tragedy. But pressed by reporters, he gave a long sigh, and said, "I'm a sinner. "
  Upon learning that Li Hongzhi has denied that the victims were  followers of Falun Gong, Xue said, "They are telling lies. Li  Hongzhi is shirking his responsibility, but God will not forgive  him." His hands trembled with anger.
  With her body entirely wrapped in bandage, 12-year-old Liu  Siying said her biggest wish is to go home and continue with her  schooling.
  "I must catch up with my lessons. My classmates are going into  the sixth grade, I don't want to be left behind alone," she said.
  Chen Guo, a music college student, said she wanted to return to school so that she could be a music teacher upon graduation.
  However, doctors at the Beijing Jishuitan Hospital said the  four are still in a critical condition.
  "We have transplanted skin for all four of them. But the  burns are massive, and the danger of infection is high," said Li Chi,  the doctor in charge of the burn unit.
  Even they survive, they face a difficult life, as their faces  are seriously deformed and their hands are actually non-existent,  the doctor said.  Enditem

Suggest To A Friend